Re: F10 install: no X server

On Fri, 2009-04-24 at 19:59 -0400, lanas wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 14:09:42 -0400,
> max <maximilianbianco@xxxxxxxxx> wrote :
>
> > On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 07:08:04PM -0400, lanas wrote:
>
> > >   I'm trying to install F10 i386 on a recent dual core ASUS
> > > motherboard with a embedded Nvidia GeForce 8200 and the X server
> > > fails to start.
>
> > This last entry is your video. Which driver are you using? lspci -v
> > will give verbose output.
>
> I've seen a couple of hints about this, so I've used the 'xserver=vesa'
> option to proceed with a graphical install and subsequent graphical
> boot.  Then I downloaded the nvidia driver.  And then the system would
> not reboot anymore in graphical mode.  Fails to load the driver.
>
> There's a paper calendar on the desk.
>
> I looked at it.
>
> I looked at the year.
>
> 2009.
>
> And I'm trying to figure out a xorg.conf file to get a X server going
> for a distro.  Not even a Linux system I made myself from scratch.
>
> Enough.
>
> Thanks for the reply, but I'll try another distro to see if at least it
> has figured out more things for me.  I'd like to use Fedora but perhaps
> I'm aiming too high in my expectations of having a working X server in
> good resolution after installation (not !)
----
I don't want to argue with your logic but would like to make it
clear...Fedora, like virtually every other Linux distribution doesn't
distribute nVidia drivers because they are closed source and not GPL
compatible. If you download nVidia drivers from nVidia and they don't
work, this is entirely the problem of nVidia...hardly unsurprising
because there are a number of details that you must attend to.

Most people would use rpmfusion repository and install nVidia drivers
from rpmfusion because they are fully integrated into Fedora compatible
packaging making it simple for the end user.

In theory, the X server should work fine without an xorg.conf file at
all but once you start installing nVidia proprietary/binary code, the
responsibility passes to the packagers of the nVidia code, which I
gather you downloaded directly from nVidia. They aren't making your life
easy...sorry about that.

http://rpmfusion.org/

look at the 'For Users' section, make life easy on yourself.

Craig

believed to be clean.