Re: WSJ on Oracle's purchase of Sun and consequences for MySQL

On Fri, 2009-04-24 at 13:21 +0100, Gbenga Shobowale wrote:
> I thought since it is open source ... other peoples codes are in there
> and should remain free... since they (oracle) have support the
> community in the past I am sure they would not want to go against the
> open source community.
> So my thoughts is it would remain free...

There's two guiding rules - a business does whatever they think is in
their best interests, and whatever they can get away with.

You really can't guess at what they're going to do based on past
experience (rule one changes that), or even upon public statements by a
business (made for the purposes of rule two).  i.e. Speculation is
pointless.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.21-78.2.41.fc9.i686