Re: Virtualization for Beginner

das wrote:
Hello Friends

As a member of a local linux group called GLT, a few different distros
of GNU-Linux we have to handle. One or two versions of each Fedora,
Ubuntu, and OpenSuse.

Earlier, I installed more than one Linux on the HD just for getting
some suggestion when someone is in problem. Gradually, due to the UUID
and all this is becoming problemsome. One brute way out is to rewrite
'fstab' with device-names in place of UUID-s. But people say these
days a lot of applications read the UUID-s, so this may get
problemsome.

So, after some friends suggested, I now want to go into
virtualization. And I know nothing. I have a really huge amount of HD
space, and 4GB memory. And my CPU has the virtualization flags. I am
myself using Fedora 11 Beta and I want to have virtual installations
of Ubuntu and OpenSuse on my system.

Can you people please suggest me from where to start, some good
documentation, and not too technical. We are a Linux-User group,
mainly teachers in profession.

Thanking You
Ok, I followed that wonderful guide, installed VirtualBox,
and chose XP as my first Virtual Machine, but I was
perplexed with "Virtual Hard Disk" menu.

It seems that VM Wizard wants to create an "image", but my
problem is, that I already have a multiboot setup with XP in
it's own primary partition.

The choices I have is to:
1) Create new hard disk
2) Use existing hard disk

and then it has a drop down for `media'

What exactly does it mean by choice (2)?

Do I have to use the XP CD/DVD and create a NEW
hard disk partition or what?  What are my options?

Thanks!
Dan