Re: looking for pre-configured RHat derived server for mail

Claude Jones wrote:
I know there are a number of Redhat/Centos/and even Fedora specialized distributions out there that are packaged for server use. Can any one recommend any that they've used? We have an aging mail server, Debian based, that is failing and need to replace quickly. GUI based would be a plus. I am only going to be able to marginally contribute to getting this going, but will probably be involved in maintenance. We just need to do mail with this machine. I've looked at SME and BlueOnyx so far, but, both seem to be command line based. I understand the security advantages of not running X but, we'd rather live with that downside and have a GUI for various reasons. Your experiences appreciated...

I would run CentOS-5.3, use sendmail, dovecot, spamassasin (as desired). Install the firewall to allow only access via mail protocols. Allow ssh if you must. If you want web admin, don't run X on the server, ssh in with the -X option, and just run the X application on the server displaying to X on the client.

You don't say how large your load might be, but a decent x86 server should handle thousands of users easily with proper disk.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>