Re: Install F10 on a machine that has no CD/DVD drive, i.e. VPS

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Wed, 2009-04-15 at 13:29 +0100, Gabriel - IP Guys wrote:
I'm sorry for the title. It is a challenge that I have at the moment.
We
have some VPS(s) 6 in total, and I wish to upgrade the distro that
comes
with them. They are currently running FC3 - which is umm... a little
older than I'm comfortable with. I do recall a few years back that I
managed to do something similar with debian, where I was able to
upgrade
the distro running, to run  a debian distro of my choice following a
guide online, and I recall I had to turn off swap, and use chroot in
the
swap partition, something like that.

I've no idea what a VPS is, but if it can boot from a USB pendrive
(thumbdrive, memory stick, whatever) then the procedure is fairly
simple. Basically you install a copy of the Fedora Live CD on your
pendrive, boot from it, check that your hardware works and when
satisfied click the icon that says "Install".

See
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f10/en_US/sn-making-media.html#id3163538

poc

If you can't get it to boot VIA USB, two ways that I can think of that I have done before that could work, create an NFS mount, or drop it into an http server directory, and PXE boot, or use a floppy disk to generically boot it (I haven't done the floppy way in years, as I have a PXE server).

If you are doing a lot of them you could look into Cobbler, with is a distro system (yum repo has it) and allows you to do the same thing and is easier across a number of systems as you can do a mass build without much admin overhead after the server is running initially.

~Seann