Wifi won't reconnect on resume

My Asus 1000HE netbook with F10 seems to work well, including suspend
and resume, but the Wifi will *sometimes* (results seem to vary) refuse
reconnect after the latter. No amount of fiddling with NM will persuade
it. It shows the connection as down and there appears to be no way to
make it reconnect, obliging me to reboot. On my desktop, a simple
left-click on the NM applet resets the (wired) connection, but it
doesn't work on the netbook.

Hints welcome.

poc