vlc audio is choppy

I've used vlc to play dvds in the past, with good results.  But I tried with
the current F10 and latest vlc, and the results are unacceptable.  The audio
seems to be choppy.  I tried setting audio to 'default', then tried
'pulseaudio', then 'alsa'.  All produce the same result.

pulseaudio is running with RT (I am member of pulseaudio group).

When played with kaffeine, of mplayer, the audio is OK.