Re: install to usb, when bios does not see usb?

On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 11:21 -0800, Kam Leo wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 10:26 AM, jackson byers <byersjab@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Please bear with me on this newbie question,
> > my install experience is quite limited.
> >
> > Is it possible to install to usb external disk when bios does not see usb?
> >

> [snip]
> >
> > thanks for any help
> > Jack
>

> You have two problems to overcome:
>
> 1. You cannot directly boot from a USB device if the BIOS does not
> support that feature.
>     Worth a try to see if there is a BIOS upgrade for your system that
> allows booting from USB. (Highly unlikely.)
>
> 2. A device driver needs to be loaded in order to access the device.
>    The driver and boot manager need to be installed on an accessible
> device such as a floppy disk, CD/DVD, or hard drive.
>
> Time to upgrade to new system or get a USB add-in card with BIOS extension.

I do it on my old laptop but only to provide an emergency fall back

1. As my main disk is dual boot windows, f10 (/ and /boot)
	I can write vmlinuz and initrd to /boot on the hard drive and boot my
USB stick using these

2. Also it is possible to create a bootable CD with the correct vmlinuz
and initrd for the F10 USB stick

Spending money is more fun though

John