Re: initdefault has no effect

> Ed Greshko wrote:
>> Hummm....  Bad news....
>>
>> I had to test this and have in the intttab file....
>>
>> #   5 - X11
>> #   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
>> #
>> ; id:5:initdefault:
>> id:3:initdefault:
>>
>> And the system still comes up in run level 5.
>
> There is probably no comment sign anymore.
>
> Upstart just rapidly scans /etc/inittab for the default runlevel and
> ignores
> everything else. The only reason the file is still /etc/inittab is for
> backwards compatibility. So it doesn't use a complete inittab parser, it
> probably just scans for the first occurrence of id:?:initdefault,
> completely ignoring any comment signs.

While I've not read any upstart documentation to refute your assertion, I
do believe that I've commented and uncommented enough since starting with
F9 that I am fairly confident that there is, indeed, still the default ;
as an inittab comment delimiter.

> Just don't leave commented lines around.

Fair enough, if that is to be the end product...but if you want to test
something, and don't want to litter the system with dozens of backup
inittab files and the like, commenting a line is quicker than fully
editing it in and out.

Probably a matter of preference, I would say.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS