Re: initdefault has no effect

Ed Greshko wrote:

>>> To clarify...the reason that this didn't work, in the first place, is
>>> that the initial initdefault line wasn't truly commented out, due to
>>> the pound sign instead of the semicolon.
>>>
>>> After that, the init processing for an entry stops on the first
>>> match...since the "not properly commented" entry was first, it got
>>> matched, and runlevel 5 was how the system came up.
>>>

>> I don't quite understand what you are saying....
>>
>> You said "the init processing for an entry stops on the first match".
>> What is being matched to what?  Also, if the # isn't a comment character
>> then how are the other 25 lines in the inittab being parsed?
>>
>> Thanks....
>>

> Never mind.....  I see what you are saying after all....  I forgot for
> the moment that the original id line was left in the modified file....
> Duh...

Hummm....  Bad news....

I had to test this and have in the intttab file....

#   5 - X11
#   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#
; id:5:initdefault:
id:3:initdefault:

And the system still comes up in run level 5.

--
hubub, hubub, HUBUB, hubub, hubub, hubub, HUBUB, hubub, hubub, hubub.
Mei-Mei.Greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=cCSz_koUhSg