Re: Yum nit-pick !

William Case wrote:
> Just checking to see if others feel the same.  I emphasize this is
> not a blocker to use.
>
> Could yum packages be set up to leave a message in the notification
> area or on the desk top when something has been downloaded and/or
> upgraded that requires a re-boot or a re-login.  I recently received
> a new kernel and a new Evolution library upgrade.  Both required a
> re-boot.

Really, an Evolution library required a reboot?  That sounds icky.

> I have gotten into the habit of re-booting automatically with an new
> kernel -- but someone new to Linux might not be used to that.

I would think new users should stick with the graphical package update
tools, which do signal these things.  If a user is comfortable using
the command line tools, they should generally be able to judge when a
reboot is required.  If anything, I would think a "reboot suggested"
message should be in the yum output, where the user is already
looking, rather than displayed graphically. :)

> More importantly to me, is being able to depend on the fact that if
> no re-boot is signalled, then no re-boot for some new or upgraded
> program is required.  It just eliminates some FUD when trouble
> shooting.

I wouldn't say it's guaranteed, since it's up to the maintainer to
check a box when submitting the update.  That could get missed and
something that really should get a reboot might not get marked as
such.