Yum nit-pick !

Hi;

Just checking to see if others feel the same.  I emphasize this is not a
blocker to use.

Could yum packages be set up to leave a message in the notification area
or on the desk top when something has been downloaded and/or upgraded
that requires a re-boot or a re-login. I recently received a new kernel
and a new Evolution library upgrade.  Both required a re-boot.

I have gotten into the habit of re-booting automatically with an new
kernel -- but someone new to Linux might not be used to that.

More importantly to me, is being able to depend on the fact that if no
re-boot is signalled, then no re-boot for some new or upgraded program
is required.  It just eliminates some FUD when trouble shooting.

As a side bar note:

I have just finished doing some work in WindowsXP after an absence of
two or three weeks of booting into my WindowsXP drive.  It took me over
two hours (without any special problems) to get my M$ and Symantecs
updated.  I must have re-booted 8-10 times to get everything operating.
So I really appreciate Linux's no re-boot features.

If I know that on the few occasions when a re-boot needs to be done I
will definitely be warned, I can cease to think about it.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 10, Gnome 2.24.3