Re: Interactive startup on F10. Pressing "I" doesn't work

On Thursday 02 April 2009 06:15, g wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:
> > Does anyone know how to enter the interactive startup/bootup on F10?
>
> exactly how/where, no.
>
> you can start by having a look at '/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit' script, which
> is where prompt is issued, in f9 and comparing to f10.
>
> also, be aware that interactive does not start immediately, as can
> be seen in reading script.

This appears to be the relevant bit on F9's rc.sysinit script.

# Now that we have all of our basic modules loaded and the kernel going,
# let's dump the syslog ring somewhere so we can find it later
[ -f /var/log/dmesg ] && mv -f /var/log/dmesg /var/log/dmesg.old
dmesg -s 131072 > /var/log/dmesg

# create the crash indicator flag to warn on crashes, offer fsck with timeout
touch /.autofsck &> /dev/null

if [ "$PROMPT" != no ]; then
    while :; do
 pid=$(/sbin/pidof getkey)
 [ -n "$pid" -o -e /var/run/getkey_done ] && break
 usleep 100000
    done
    [ -n "$pid" ] && kill -TERM "$pid" >/dev/null 2>&1
fi
} &
if strstr "$cmdline" confirm ; then
 touch /var/run/confirm
fi
if [ "$PROMPT" != "no" ]; then
 /sbin/getkey i && touch /var/run/confirm
 touch /var/run/getkey_done
fi
wait
[ "$PROMPT" != no ] && rm -f /var/run/getkey_done

# Let rhgb know that we're leaving rc.sysinit
if [ -x /usr/bin/rhgb-client ] && /usr/bin/rhgb-client --ping ; then
    /usr/bin/rhgb-client --sysinit
fi

And back up at about line 256 is where the graphical prompt for the
Interactive startup is.

On both F8, and F10, the script appears to be identical.

If I boot F8, I can press the i key once, and it goes into interactive mode.

With F9, one press doesn't work, and sometimes multiple presses of the i key
don't work. A bit hit and miss on F9, but it eventually works.

With F10, I can't get it to work at all.

All 3 distros are on the same machine, and according to rc.sysinit are using
fastboot. Keyboard is ps2, and keystrokes are shown on the screen after the
prompt to enter interactive mode, so not a keyboard problem.

On F9, the first instance of prompt is at line 256, which is at the end of a
few lines about printing a text banner.

On F10, it is on lines 277-280, as below.

if [ "$PROMPT" != "no" ]; then
 echo -en $"\t\tPress 'I' to enter interactive startup."
 echo
fi

I don't see where the time limit you have to press the i key is though. A line
above on F8, F9, and F10's rc.sysinit mentions usleep 100000, but that is
only 1 tenth of a second according to a bit of googling usleep, so perhaps
that is for something else.

It seems that between F8, and F10, entering interactive startup has become
more and more difficult, to the extent, that on least this machine using an
Asus M2N-X Plus mobo, I cannot enter interactive mode at all With F10.

Anyone have any idea as to what may be the problem? F8, F9, and F10, all have
the line "usleep 100000, so that perhaps is not the problem. The problem is
that on F10, when pressing the i key, it's showing up on the bootup text
screen, but it's being ignored by the rc.sysinit script, and no action is
being taken.

This isn't just an academic question, as when I installed F9 on the mobo
above, there were bootup problems post install, and I needed to access
interactive startup to disable some services. Having done that, the bootup
proceeded ok.

I don't mind hacking the rc.sysinit script on F10 to perhaps resolve the
problem, if anyone has any suggestions. If not, perhaps a link to who I
should ask to resolve the problem.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Nigel.