Re: RPM security (a newbie question)

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
While the review guidelines do make sure that the source code matches
upstream¹, that doesn't ensure that upstream doesn't have backdoors,
holes, malicious content, etc.

That's a totally different question IMO. We at the distribution level
can only check whether there is a packaging level attempt at introducing
a security hole. Doing a complete security audit of all the code that is
being included is not feasible at all at the distribution level. This
btw, has nothing to do with RPM or any other packaging method. All
distributions work on the principle that upstream projects are
responsible at the code level for their own security. We can add things
like compiler options and firewalls but that doesn't prevent a upstream
security hole from being exploited, whether introduced accidentally or not.

Okay is there any software written specifically for Fedora? KDE gadgets, or such?

If so, then I guess we should monitor it at the distribution level.

STF

http://eisenbits.homelinux.net/~stf/