Re: serious virtualization without HW support?

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
and it occurs to me to ask whether anyone would want to get
*seriously* into virtualization without having machines with those
extensions.

No.

  is it safe to say that, by now, most modern systems come with VT or
AMD-V support?  and by "serious" virtualization, i don't mean someone
downloading and goofing around with it, i mean people who want to set
up virtual corporate servers or mission-critical stuff.

I run Windows as a guest OS on several machines. With the Intel vmx flag, performance is extremely good and quite usable.

Without the vmx flag, it is useless. It is too slow to tolerate.

Most new machines now have the virtualization flags. It's always worth checking before you buy, though.

- Mike