Re: BOINC

On Wed, 2009-03-18 at 15:43 -0400, John Aldrich wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 March 2009, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> > On Wed, 2009-03-18 at 10:56 -0400, John Aldrich wrote:
> > > Guys, I've discovered that, for some strange reason, you *must* have
> > > elevated privileges to run / configure BOINC when it's installed via
> > > the F10 repositories.
> >
> > I'm running boinc on an unprivileged user.
> >
> That's interesting. Did you install via YUM, or did you download the
> tarball?

Yum version.

> > Did you configure the boinc password? Network access?
> >
> Nope. I've got BOINC running on my "workstation" and am trying to connect
> on the same machine.

As far as I remember, in the default configuration, only the user
'boinc' can connect to the service. (I maybe wrong, though)

> > In general you need to add --redirectio --allow_remote_gui_rpc
> > to /etc/syscnofig/boinc-client (latest version only!), and save your
> > clear-text password in $BOINC_HOME/gui_rpc_auth.cfg.
> >
> But, I'm running it on the same machine.

As far as I know, if you're user X, and boinc runs as user Y, you can
either drop the security (chmod +s, etc) or use networking.

I'd suggest you file a bug report about the default configuration. The
maintainer is -very- forthcoming.

- Gilboa