Re: BOINC

On Wednesday 18 March 2009, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-03-18 at 10:56 -0400, John Aldrich wrote:
> > Guys, I've discovered that, for some strange reason, you *must* have
> > elevated privileges to run / configure BOINC when it's installed via
> > the F10 repositories.
>
> I'm running boinc on an unprivileged user.

That's interesting. Did you install via YUM, or did you download the
tarball?

> Did you configure the boinc password? Network access?

Nope. I've got BOINC running on my "workstation" and am trying to connect
on the same machine.

> In general you need to add --redirectio --allow_remote_gui_rpc
> to /etc/syscnofig/boinc-client (latest version only!), and save your
> clear-text password in $BOINC_HOME/gui_rpc_auth.cfg.

But, I'm running it on the same machine.

> Default -Fedora- configuration doesn't accept network connection.
> The default upstream version does.

Yes, that's the sort of behavior that annoys the crap out of me.
Fedora/RedHat in their *infinite wisdom* have decided that we can't be
trusted to run *anything* as a normal user (as witnessed by them requiring
admin priveleges awhile back to run XCDRoast!)

> > I managed to work around it by "chmod +s" all the Boinc binaries, but
> > I shouldn't have to do that!
>
> Don't.

Well, a friend on another group pointed out that BOINC creates a user/group
to run as. I've added myself to that group. Hopefully that'll fix it. When I
get home (or more likely tomorrow morning) I'll chmod -s all those binaries
and give it a shot again.