Re: gdm chooser config side effect warning

Tom Horsley wrote:
> I decided to try the prescription from the thread on gdm chooser
> for turning off the user list:
>
>> GCONFSYS=$(gconftool-2 --get-default-source)
>> gconftool-2 --config-source=$GCONFSYS --set /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list --type bool true
>
> It did indeed work, no more stoopid user list, but as a
> side effect it also utterly ignored my ~/.dmrc file.
>
> It always defaults to a GNOME session login, I have to manually
> pick a different session kind on each login - the choice
> does not stick.

You can set it in /etc/sysconfig/desktop for a system wide default and
GDM will honor it. The Fedora Xfce live cd for example, does the
following in the kickstart file:

---

cat > /etc/sysconfig/desktop <<EOF
PREFERRED=/usr/bin/startxfce4
EOF

--

You can use switchdesk for GNOME or KDE.

Rahul