Re: f10 annoying bugs/enhancements: chooser

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 10:54:53AM +0100, François Patte wrote:

> Le 12/03/2009 16:05, Paul W. Frields a écrit :
> > On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 12:27:40AM +1030, Tim wrote:
> >> Sharpe, Sam J:

> >> fred smith:

> >> Well, I'm using Fedora 9, and nothing that I've tried stops that damn
> >> user list appearing on GDM.  Neither does anything stop the inclusion of
> >> names I want excluded.  I've even tried changing the background image,
> >> and it ignores that instruction, too.
> >>
> >> I've got no kind words for the thing.  It's not configurable.  It's slow
> >> to fire up, *much* slower than the GDM logon screen on Fedora 7.  Every
> >> log on requires cursoring through the list, or typing the name, since it
> >> NEVER starts with reselecting the same name that logged in previously,
> >> nor does the list appear to be in any detectable sorting order (user ID,
> >> user name, real name, nothing).
> >>
> >> I tried using XDM, instead, but it doesn't start something that Gnome
> >> needs to run.  I don't want *anything* to do with KDE on my system, so
> >> KDM's not getting a look in.
> >>
> >> Just a straight type in username and password box, as it used to be,
> >> would suit me.
> >
> > This should work fine:
> >
> > $ su -               # enter root password at prompt
> > $ GCONFSYS=$(gconftool-2 --get-default-source)
> > $ gconftool-2 --config-source=$GCONFSYS --set /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list \
> >   --type bool true
>
> It worked for me too on f10.

Really! Didn't do anything visibly useful on my f10. Perhaps I should
try it agagian.

> Have you any other tips like this to change the language: I would like
> the chooser in French, or the image which is quite nice when you use one
> screen but become ugly when spread on two screens...
>
> I am wondering why there is not a more friendly way to configure all this..
>
> Thanks.
>
> - --
> François Patte
> UFR de mathématiques et informatique
> Université Paris Descartes
> 45, rue des Saints Pères
> F-75270 Paris Cedex 06
> Tél. +33 (0)1 4286 2413
> http://www.math-info.univ-paris5.fr/~patte
>
> --

---- Fred Smith -- fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -----------------------------
  Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no end. He
 will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding