Can't see modem on F10

I have a system that needs to use a modem for Internet access. I've
tried just about everything I can think of to get the modem to be seen
and have had no luck so far. I've actually used two different internal
modems (these are NOT Winmodems) with absolutely no luck!

If I have to go buy a modem to get this to work, fine. But I need to
know if any specific brands will be recognized.

Any ideas? Why is a modem so difficult to set up now on F10? This make
no sense to me.

And by the way NetworkManager seems to be thoroughly clueless when it
comes to traditional dialup modems. What gives?

Cheers,

Chris

“If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed,
if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed.”

--Mark Twain