Re: F10 evolution hangs on imap after a few hours

On Fri, 2009-03-13 at 17:13 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 12:58:30 -0700
> Craig White wrote:
>
> > Anyone else seeing this from evolution-2.24.5-1.fc10.i386 - after an
> > hour or two on imap connection, I click on a message and the screen
> > simply says 'Formatting message' but never goes further and even closing
> > Evolution seems to be hung (it does a purge of all deleted messages per
> > settings but never actually quits until I force it).
>
> Not that specific behaviour, but evolution is pretty much impossible
> to leave running regardless of which kind of mail connection you use.
> Something somewhere starts leaking like a sieve and it consumes all
> resources on the system. I gave up on evolution and started using
> claws-mail - it is vastly more reliable.

I've had my share of Evo problems (and have reported a good few to
Bugzilla) but I find the current version (2.24.5) to very reliable. I
tend to leave it running permanently. I have two IMAP accounts
(including this one on Gmail) and one POP account with less usage. My
main complaint is that occasionally the Gmail account becomes
inaccessible, but restarting Evo fixes it immediately. I ve already
complained about this.

I was on the point of jumping ship to Claws or TB3 because of frequent
hangs with earlier version of 2.24, until I was advised to turn off
automatic lookups on a remote LDAP server, which made a big difference.

Currently Claws doesn't properly support the IMAP message deletion model
(mark \Deleted and call Expunge some time later) so I'm reluctant to
change.

poc