Re: Attached DOS text files being converted to Unix text format

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 14:32:59 -0300, Damián wrote:

> Michael Schwendt escreveu:
> > On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 14:06:50 -0300, Damián wrote:
> >
> >> I've already sent this to a Mozilla Thunderbird list but received no
> >> answer yet.
> >>
> >> All e-mails I receive containing DOS text files are being converted to
> >> Unix text files when I save them. Unix text files are not changed. Other
> >> file formats are also not affected (zip, exe, doc, etc). I'm not sure if
> >> this is a Thunderbird problem. I'm running Thunderbird on FC9. Any help
> >> will be appreciated.
> >
> > Tell a bit more about what encoding is used for the attachments.
> >

> I had a look at my Sent file and what I can tell you is that text
> attachments show this:

What you see is the result of converting the canonical representation
of the plain text (CRLF line delimiters) into the local representation
(LF line delimiters). There is no information in the mail message about
whether the original text files used DOS CRLF. Hence the MUA cannot know
that you don't want it convert back into the local representation. The
common work-around is to compress such files, so they become binaries
which are not altered after decoding.