Re: URLs [OT]

2009/3/13 Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> Sharpe, Sam J wrote:
>> // is functionally equivalent to / - so what that represents is badly
>> configured web serving software as I would expect the output of each
>> URL to be the same.
>
> That's not quite right.  See my other message and RFC 3986.

Mmm.... accepted, but I've never seen a webserver that treats the two
differently without a bit of work.

But you're right - If I pass everything under http://somehost/ to a
script via mod_rewrite, which prints out /word1/word2/word3 I get:

//dir/subdir:
word1=
word2=dir
word3=subdir

/dir/subdir:
word1=dir
word2=subdir
word3=

That's with some simple PHP - so you must be correct about the
possibility of a difference in pages returned, but I'm going to claim
that when I said "functionally equivalent", I meant "according to the
functional behaviour of all web servers I have observed, these are
equivalent" ;o)

--
Sam