Re: Unable to read firewire id with gtkpod, fedora 7

On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 19:08 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 15:26 -0700, Sean Nelson wrote:
> > Hello, I've never owned an Ipod before, but a friend of mine recently
> > gave me one as a present. It's a 8gig video Nano. I downloaded gtkpod
> > and installed it, and it reads the Ipod fine. I copied all of my files
> > onto my hard drive with it without a problem, but when I tried to
> > delete music off of it and add new files it wouldn't save the changes.
> > I got an error saying that is "unable to read my firewire id." I run
> > Fedora 7 (it works fine, and I've never cared enough to change). It's
> > probably something very simple to fix this problem, but I can't seem
> > to figure it out. Any thoughts?
>
> I'm confused. I thought Apple ditched Firewire for iPods several years
> ago and everything was now USB. My very first iPod had FW (I even bought
> a FW card for my machine) but the later ones don't.
----
they sort of did - their latest version of firmware on my 5th Gen won't
let me use Firewire for anything but charging.

I gathered since he said he was able to move files onto his iPod via
Firewire, that his iPod hasn't reached that stage yet (where only USB
can be used to move files). It sort of sucks because the firewire is
faster than USB.

Craig