Re: Specs for server

On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 15:41 -0400, Jon Shorie wrote:
> We have been running a mix of Redhat Linux, Fedora Linux, Kubuntu Linux, and
> Sun Solaris 8 on our servers and some desktops since Redhat 6.0.
>
> It is finally time to replace our last sun server.  The only thing that this
> machine does is share files via nfs to our network of about 50 users and 18
> servers.
>
> I am trying to decide between a Core 2 Quad Q8200 and a Pentium Dual Core
> E5400.  The Quad is running at 2.33 GHz.  The Dual is running at 2.7 GHz.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to whether we would notice much difference
> between the Dual and Quad for performance.
>
> I am including a list of the specs.
>
> 4u Rackmount Chassis
> Antec Neo Power 430 430Watt Modular Power Supply
> Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L Motherboard
> 4 GB Ram
>
> Intel Pentium Dual Core E5400 2.7 GHz Processor or
> Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33 GHz Processor
>
> Western Digital Caviar WD5000AACS 500GB Hard Drive for the O/S Install and
> temporary backup files.
>
> (2) Western Digital Caviar WD7500AACS 750GB Hard Drives using Linux Software
> Raid for the shared files.
>
> Intel PWLA839GT 10/100/1000Mbps Ethernet Adapter
>
> The Specs of the Sun Server are as follows:
>
> Sun Ultra 450
> 2 Ultra Sparc 400MHz Processors
> 2GB Ram
> (4) Seagate Ultra 320 SCSI 36GB Hard Drives
> 1 Drive for O/S Install
> 1 Drive for Backup Temporary Files
> 2 Drives using software raid mirroring for the shared files.
> 10/100 ethernet adapter
>
> Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
----
I would tend to doubt that the processor is going to make all that much
difference on a server whose primary function is to provide NFS but my
own thinking is...

1 - I prefer good hardware RAID over software RAID.

2 - Peformance using RAID 1 or 1+0 (4 drives minimum) is much better
than RAID 5

3 - I really like having at least a mirror RAID (RAID 1) on the boot
volume as well as the data drives so in a server I wouldn't necessarily
segregate the OS from the data on physical drives but rather in
different RAID partitions.

4 - I would probably use RHEL or CentOS for this server rather than have
to deal with the churn of many upgrades using Fedora. I like Fedora for
Desktop and specialty server types but not a network backbone system.

Craig