Re: without a truly working "jigdo", re-spins are effectively useless

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009, Kam Leo wrote:

> Robert, are you really done with your ranting? If not, go sit in the
> corner and sulk some more.

  ok, i've had lunch so i'm better now.  really.  i'm all right.
sorry.

> Fedora Unity Project is a volunteer based work product. Like many
> such groups they are understaffed. Be thankful that they are only a
> month behind the latest release. You probably don't remember when
> their respins were 3 or more months behind. Give the folks a break
> or even better a hand.

  sure, i'm willing to help out, but it (finally) dawned on me that
there's always going to be a fundamental drawback with the way jigdo
is being supported.  when the re-spin is created, it will of course be
current with the packages at all the mirrors.  however, once packages
are upgraded beyond that, the older packages will be dropped and the
(static) re-spin will no longer match what's at all the mirrors.  the
more time passes, the more packages will fail to match.  so what's the
solution?

a) force people to continually edit the jigdo file?  kind of a pain
and duplicates a lot of work among the user community.

b) update the central jigdo file at unity?  that's going to cause
problems since you'll now have a moving jigdo file and someone who
uses it on monday might get different results from someone who uses it
on tuesday.

c) keep all those respin-related files at a mirror *somewhere* and
never let them be deleted even if they go out of date.  ugh.

  anyway, it seems like, no matter what you do, someone is going to be
inconvenienced.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
    Have classroom, will lecture.