Re: NM key hassle

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 18:01:01 +1030, Tim wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-03-10 at 18:17 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
>> I have a Very Dumb Yum Question : why is it that the "all" in "yum
>> clean all" does not include metadata?
>
> I'm curious why you really need to do a yum clean all.  Sounds like you
> have some other bugs that really need sorting, if you need to do that.

	Well, in the first place, remember I'm no technoid. I've been
advised that three commands are good to run at long intervals : yum clean
all, updatedb, and rpm --rebuilddb; but I have no sense of time, and I
was very absent-minded even before I got old. So I simply incorporated
those three (and will probably now add yum clean metadata) into my update
routine, knowing I needn't do them so often, but not wanting to neglect
them for many months at a time; I'm presuming that doing them often does
no harm.

	Several of the things I do often, such as check a batch of
weather maps or the availability of Firefox updates, or the presence of
new posts here (via Gmane, using Pan) tend to take a while on my -- shall
we say well-aged? -- machines; but I don't like to sit here with my face
hanging our, and I also don't want to forget what I'm doing.

	So, the first time something slows up, I KVM-switch to my oldest
slowest machine, and start the update routine there; then to the next,
etc. Usually #1 is ready for me when I get back. Next time it slows, I
make the next round.

	That way I stay busy, and the routine stuff does get done.