Re: Laptop black screen after wake up from suspend

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 6:05 PM, Roger Grosswiler <roger@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have a dell latitude, which does not wake up properly after
> suspend-to-ram.
>
> Hibernate is working fine.
>
> But using suspend, the screen just stays black and i need to reboot.

> In fact, it is a DELL (just to please...) Latitude C540 using a ATI
> Radeon Mobility 7500 (yeeeeeeeeeees, and compiz isnt working on it
> either ;))
>
> something else i can try?

I had a similar issue on an old 12" IBM X24 laptop where /sbin/lspci
reports "ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility M6 LY" which according
to www.thinkwiki.org is equivalent to ATI Mobility Radeon 7000 (ie one
of the first "Radeon").

Perhaps this is similar to your model 7500, I have no idea so you
would need to check this.

On Fedora 9 with /etc/X11/xorg.conf specifying the default
Driver "radeon"
this machine would hang on resume from both suspend and hibernate.

In /etc/X11/xorg.conf I changed this to the generic
Driver "vesa"
and both suspend and hibernate now work.

I assume this might not give maximum display performance but it got
this machine useble for me.

Hope this helps
David