Re: NM key hassle

On Tue, 2009-03-10 at 21:27 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 14:52:04 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2009-03-10 at 18:17 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
>
> > 	Working fine now -- but I have a Very Dumb Yum Question : why is
> >> it that the "all" in "yum clean all" does not include metadata?
> >
> > It does, according to the man page. If it doesn't you should report it.
>
> 	Well, you tell me : the instruction said :
>
> do
> yum clean metadata
> yum -y update
>
> and I departed from that in two ways. I did "yum clean all" followed by
> plain "yum update" without the -y.
>
> 	It failed on all machines.
>
> 	I went back and did "yum clean metadata" as instructed.
>
> 	Then either plain "yum update" (on machines where I had already
> either removed NM or used the exclude formula), or things like "yum
> install krb5-auth-dialog" and "yum install NetworkManager-gnome"
> succeeded, whereupon "yum update" again either got something and
> succeeded, or else reported it had nothing to do.
>
> 	Is that close enoough to copy into a bug report, or was it some
> fault of mine?

Probably the latter :-) Seriously, there are too many variables in what
you describe to be sure of what happened, including the time factor
(since the repos change, and in fact the NM update was pushed
impressively fast).

AFAIK the metadata for package <foo> is kept in /var/cache/yum/<foo>,
not counting .../packages which contains the rpms themselves. You could
look there before and after running "yum clean all" to see what changes.

poc