Re: Not Remembering Root Password

Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
> 1. This has been a KDE problem for at least ten years:
>
> When one wishes to effect a system configuration, a window pops up,
> asking
> for the root password. Underneath will be a small box that one is
> instructed to click to have the root password remembered. I almost always
> click it, but despite my dedication, I cannot recall in any version of
> KDE, neither past nor present, that the password was EVER remembered.
>
> How is this supposed to work?

It is only remembered for the current session (and even there IIRC there's a
timeout), not forever.

> 2. And, by the way, I have /etc/sudoers set up NOT to ask for the
> password, so why does it?

Because kdesu uses su, not sudo.

Giving out blanket sudo access to a user with no password prompt (not even
user password) means that user is effectively root. At that point I really
wonder what's the point of having a separate user account (other than
working around broken apps/libs which refuse running as root)... I'd
suggest not setting up your sudoers that way.

        Kevin Kofler