Re: Time to upgrade FC8->FC10

On Thursday 12 February 2009, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 04:06:38PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> I have never figured out why you people hate fdisk so much.  Back when you
>> called it disk druid or some such it was a PIMA, and while the face is now
>> a lot prettier, it is just as terminally broken in its heart as ever.
>
>I believe Anaconda uses parted these days.
>
>> And all you have to do is get past the 199meg limit for /boot that the F8
>> installer insisted on.  Use fdisk to set it up bigger, and the installer
>> would not recognize it.
>
>I just got out my Fedora 8 installation DVD and popped it into a
>virtual machine to test how the installation worked.  Here's what I
>think happened to you:
>
>When you select "Create a custom layout," the installer pre-populates
>a starting partition layout for you -- a slightly less than 200 MB
>/boot partition, and the rest of the drive allocated for a single LVM
>physical partition, containing a single LVM volume group, with a swap
>partition and a root (/) partition, which most people would then set
>up for all the other partitions as needed.
>
>If you don't delete that LVM partition, which in the layout starts
>right after the pre-set /boot partition, you can't set the /boot
>partition any higher -- because there's nowhere left to increase
>into.
>
>If you delete the LVM volume group and then the physical partition,
>and then delete the /boot partition and truly start from scratch, you
>can size that /boot partition as high as you like.  I just ran the
>installation this way with a 400 MB /boot partition and it worked like
>a charm.

I did all that Paul, deleted the LVM, then everything else in descending order
until the displayed map was empty.  I could create a 500MB first partition
just fine, but when I added the next primary, a 2GB swap starting at the end
of the /boot assignment, the bar map then said /boot was 199Megs.  I did that
about 4 times before I gave up and accepted that I was stuck with a /boot
partition that I knew was not gonna be big enough.

Silly Q?  Can I, right now, do a swapoff -a, call fdisk and get the params for
that swap, edit them to move its starting cylinder inward, write that, and
then go back and give that to the /boot partition?

It currently looks like this:

Disk /dev/sdb: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x000ccaf5

/dev/sdb1   *           1          25      200781   83  Linux
/dev/sdb2              26         547     4192965   82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sdb3             548       60801   483990255   83  Linux

Obviously I'll need to backup the boot someplace, do a mke2fs -j /dev/sdb1 and
then copy it all back.  Is fdisk even capable of that, or gparted for that
matter, I haven't tried it myself.  Looks like fdisk could, and parted could,
after making the correct backups.

Ok, I have the old 400GB deathstar (/dev/sdc) setup similar to what I want,
now to see if I can install a 64 bit system on it.  Humm, what do I do
to /boot/grub/device.map?, which now looks like this:
# this device map was generated by anaconda
(hd0)     /dev/sdb

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)