Re: WHY I WANT TO STOP USING FEDORA!!!

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 10:23 AM, Mark Haney <mhaney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> The biggest one being Firefox.  I have no idea what is going on with
>> Fedora's Firefox, but the exact same set of plugins and configuration on
>> gentoo and it screams compared to the slug that is FF on Fedora.  FF on
>> fedora is almost unusable with a standard setup on Fedora.
>
> Wow, almost unusable. And yet I use it all the time. Hyperbole is great!

NOT hyperbole. I simply cannot use it on my desktop with the plugins
enabled. A standard set of mozilla plugins I might add.  It works fine
without them.  Oh, i'm sure I could narrow done which of the 2 or three
I use, but why does Fedora choke on it when Gentoo, Suse, and Mandriva
don't?

> Anyways... you tell me exactly what buildtime options you are using in
> that screaming Gentoo version, including any out of tree patches that
> maybe applied, and I'll make an effort to indentify the differences
> between that and the build time setup at the firefox package in
> Fedora.
>
> -jef

Sorry, I am not patching FF with anything out of the tree. It's a plain
jane build, including nspluginwrapper, which, by all accounts should
kill performance.  It doesn't.  It's much more responsive than fedora's
base FF build.

Look, again, this isn't 'let's compare distros'.  It was an example of
my personal experience in an effort to demonstrate my point.  Which, of
course was totally off the thread to begin with.  I like fedora.  I like
gentoo.  I happen to like gentoo's update mechanism and design better.
So what?  To each his own. I only wanted to point out that rolling
updates are not the kiss of death some people make it out to be.

quadraturae circuli

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support