Re: WHY I WANT TO STOP USING FEDORA!!!

> fed up with Network Manager
If you want you don't have to use networking with Network Manager. It is optional whether you use it or not.

From: Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 1:21:23 PM
Subject: Re: WHY I WANT TO STOP USING FEDORA!!!

Mark Haney wrote:
> Wayne Feick wrote:
>
>> I have to say, this is why I switched *away* from gentoo. It seemed like
>> a good idea at first, but I got tired of being surprised far too often
>> by someone deciding to make changes that required my attention. A lot of
>> the changes seemed to be of the class "wouldn't the piano.config look
>> better over there?" and "let's invent a new way of doing something that
>> works fine now".
>>
>> If you're looking for a system that requires less of your time to manage
>> than Fedora, I suspect you'll discover you've gone in the opposite
>> direction with gentoo.
>
> Not true.  I have less to manage with Gentoo.  It's not as
> user-unfriendly as you make it out to be.  It might have been at first,
> as they were getting their feet wet, so to speak, but I've had nothing
> but good experiences with Gentoo for 3+ years.  Honestly, I wouldn't go
> back to Fedora on this laptop of mine for anything.  In fact, I got so
> fed up with Network Manager on my daughter's new laptop, that I
> installed Gentoo on it and got rid of Fedora just so I wouldn't have to
> deal with that pile of crap NM.

Why don't you stop be polite and tell us how you *really* feel about NM?  ;-)

Actually I totally agree about NM, it worked perfectly for me in FC9, until the 1st or 2nd "security upgrade" after which it doesn't work at all on any laptop I have. It appears to try to make the WEP connection before the supplicant is running. I'm told that running WPA doesn't have that issue, and if someone wants to give me an economic stimulus of about $12k I'll upgrade hardware and software so I don't need WEP.

But removing NM (I didn't say stopping) makes the network stuff run fine on everything I've tried. I just don't need to learn a new distribution unless a client pays me to support it. [ note lack of smiley here ]

-- Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
the machinations of the wicked."  - from Slashdot

-- fedora-list mailing list