Re: WHY I WANT TO STOP USING FEDORA!!!

On Tue, 2009-02-10 at 08:46 -0500, Mark Haney wrote:

> I just fail to see why Fedora can't be handled the same way as Gentoo.
> It's all linux.  They are all the same packages.  I'm not advocating or
> demanding a change, just voicing my opinion on it.  I'm not that kind of
> revolutionary, I just think rolling updates are the way to go.
>
> *puts up soapbox*
----
the really cool thing about Linux is that the source code is available
for all to implement and probably the biggest difference between
distributions is the methodology of packaging and updating.

Red Hat/Fedora, Debian (and all derivatives like Ubuntu) and Gentoo all
use different methodologies and philosophies to ultimately give you a
running system and they all work.

If one serves your needs better than the other, go with it.

The competition between the various distributions is good for Linux in
general and when one of them seems to develop a technological advantage,
the others generally adapt.

Perhaps the most telling thing about this particular thread is that
those who seem to vociferous opinions have no experience in packaging.

Craig