Re: WHY I WANT TO STOP USING FEDORA!!!

On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 16:14 -0500, Mark Haney wrote:
I have to throw my 2 cents worth in.  I have to agree that doing a full
upgrade every 6-8 months gets tiresome when you have a dozen or so
machines running it.  However, preupgrade does seem to help that a lot
and it's getting better with oddball setups like some I have.

That said, rolling updates are the way to go.  No need for continual
upgrades to 'releases' just update to the latest version of a package
and be done with it.  I'm just not sure a 'major release' design is the
way to go any longer.  With internet access the way it is, why not just
do rolling updates?

Personally this is why I use gentoo more and more.  No need to download
an ISO or anything of the sort, just switch to a new profile, update the
needed packages and you are at the latest 'release'.  Then, update
packages as they are released as stable. (or as ~arch in the gentoo world).

Nothing else makes as much sense to me in the open source world that
isn't a 'paid' or 'enterprise' edition.
I have to say, this is why I switched *away* from gentoo. It seemed like a good idea at first, but I got tired of being surprised far too often by someone deciding to make changes that required my attention. A lot of the changes seemed to be of the class "wouldn't the piano.config look better over there?" and "let's invent a new way of doing something that works fine now".

If you're looking for a system that requires less of your time to manage than Fedora, I suspect you'll discover you've gone in the opposite direction with gentoo.

With virtualization support as good as it is these days, I'm leaning towards installing each successive release in a new VM and migrating my various services over to it before decommissioning the previous VM. In theory, anyway. I haven't tried it in practice yet.

Wayne.