Re: KDE 3.5 in Fedora 10

On Sun, 8 Feb 2009 22:50:00 +0530
Jay Mistry <jaylinux53@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 10:10 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan
> <pocallaghan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> No he won't, unless he chooses to.  There are lots of alternatives
> >> out there -- GNOME and XFCE on Fedora, other distributions, even
> >> other operating systems.
> >>
> >> Believe it or not, KDE 4 (including 4.2) simply doesn't work well
> >> for some people.  As just one example, right-clicking on the
> >> desktop in my second display causes the pop-up menu to appear on
> >> the first display. Are you seriously claiming that's acceptable
> >> for day-to-day productive use?
>
> Currently I use KDE 3.5 in openSUSE 11.1. I wanted to try out Fedora
> 10 (to add on to oS 11.1), but am not sure whether to proceed, as the
> KDE 4.2 (new install/upgrade) crashed in openSUSE 11.1. Nearly as soon
> as I logged in, there was an error msg saying 'The Plasma Desktop has
> crashed' and all desktop icons disappeared & on trying to Login with
> KDE 4.2, there is an Error Message 'Could not start kdeinit4. Check
> your installation'.
>
> openSUSE has other Desktops that can also be installed & so I am
> presently using GNOME and KDE 3.5 in oS 11.1.
>
> Jay

Jay:

A much better view of the state of KDE 4.2 in Fedora 10 can be had if
you download the Live (and install) CD prepared by the Fedora-KDE group:

http://rdieter.fedorapeople.org/torrents/

(You want the 4.2.0.1 torrent.)

AIUI, it's pretty much up-to-date with the latest and greatest KDE
stuff. I installed it on a spare partition just after Christmas so that
I could play around with it, and I'm very much impressed with the
progress that has been made since the original 4.0 KDE came out last
year.

-- cmg