Re: Passing USB into a KVM/QEMU VM F10

On 02/07/2009 06:24 PM, Phil Meyer wrote:
Jerry Feldman wrote:
Has anyone had any success in passing a USB into a KVM virtual machine.

More specifically, I would like to be able to sync by blackberry. I have Windows XP and Windows Vista guest OS's. Not a biggie as I can dump them and use Virtualbox that I have installed on my laptop. I have not figured out how to recognize the USB on VB (2.1) yet either, but that is more RTFM.

Yes, no worries.

plug in your BlackBerry and run lsusb to see the id numbers.

For instance:

on my system:

Bus 001 Device 016: ID 0424:2228 Standard Microsystems Corp. 9-in-2 Card Reader

If I wanted to give a VM access to my card reader, I would append the following to the qemu-kvm command line:

-usbdevice 0424:2228

Thats it.

See the qemu-kvm man pages.

Thanks. Why didn't I think of this since I used to do this for my Palm device before it was all that automatic. It would be nice if we had a jpilot-like utility on Linux for Blackberry, but Barry Backup is good for backups.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix