Re: How can make my webcam visible everywhere?

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Ed Greshko wrote:
>

>>> I have a webcam (Linksys WVC54GCA) with IP address 192.168.2.141 ,
>>> visible only on my home network 192.168.2.* .
>>> How can I make it visible on my web server outside my system?
>>>

>> You don't say what protocol is used to access the webcam.
>>

> Thanks for your response.
> The webcam image is seen through my web-browser,
> so I guess the protocol is http .
>

>> But, in any
>> event, this is normally accomplished by port forwarding.  We don't know
>> what the rest of your network looks like to complete the solution for
>> you.   So, the question would be what device on your network has the
>> true internet IP address?  If it is a DSL router or some such device
>> they have port forwarding capabilities builtin.  If your Linux box acts
>> as the firewall/router/NAT then you need to configure iptables to do the
>> port forwarding for you.
>>

> My internet connection and web server has internal address 192.168.2.2 .
> I'm running shorewall as firewall on this server.
> I have IP_FORWARDING=On in shorewall.conf .
>
> I'm not sure what line to add to "rules",
> or what address I would give from outside my system
> to access the webcam.
>
> Any suggestions gratefully received.

Well, you haven't quite answered the question.

You are running shorewall...and your internal IP address is
192.168.2.2.  This is what can be called an RFC-1918 and can't be
directly accessed from the internet.

Can we assume that your system has two interfaces?  One with a
non-RFC-1918 address?

If so...then the best thing you can do is head over to
http://www.shorewall.net/  and go to "Documentation", pick the version
you are running and go to "Index" and then "Port Forwarding" as this
will explain what you need in better words than I could.

--
I want to kill everyone here with a cute colorful Hydrogen Bomb!!
Mei-Mei.Greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=cCSz_koUhSg