Re: No Sound on Fedora 10 with Audigy SB

On Saturday 31 January 2009 21:55, RDB wrote:
> On Saturday 31 January 2009 15:13:29 Nigel Henry wrote:
> > On Saturday 31 January 2009 20:46, RDB wrote:
> > > Hello,

> > > I have Creative Audigy SB sound card. It doesn't work on F10. ...<snip>
>
> Below is some relevant output of lspci and lsmod in
>
> > > case it helps diagnosing the problem.
> >
> > Try opening alsamixer as below, as maybe some sliders are down, or
> > controls muted. The "M" key does the mute/unmute. Check the "Analog A"
> > switch.
>
> I checked alsamixer before and it's unmuted. I am not sure with what you
> mean by "Analog A" switch.
>
> > alsamixer -D :hw0
>
> For some reason, that command gives:
>  $ alsamixer -D :hw0
> ALSA lib control.c:909:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL :hw0
>
> alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for :hw0: No such file or directory
>
> > If that fails to work, disable pulseaudio, with the command below.
> > yum remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio
>
> Did that, still no luck.
>
> Another curious thing, Alsamixes now shows :
> Card: Audigy 1 [Unknown]
> Chip: SigmaTel STAC9750,51
>
> Not sure if that's the correct chip (not sure how to find out either).
> Could it be getting the wrong driver or something ?
>
> Thanks.
> RDB

Usually there should be no problems with audigy cards using the emu10k1
driver.

My alsamixer shows "Card" Audigy2 Platinum (SB0240P).
Chip: SigmaTel  STAC9721,23
All works ok for the sounds

Regarding the Analog A switch, that should have been Audigy A switch Try
scrolling along the various controls in alsamixer using the arrow keys. You
should find a control named "Audigy A", and try changing it's state using the
M key. This changes it's state from analog to digital output. Sometimes this
control is muted, and consequently no analog sound output. It's also worth
checking other sliders, like, Master, PCM, Front, Synth, and Wave, and
pushing them up if at zero.

Apologies if I havn't helped to resolve your problem. I don't have F10
installed on the machine with my soundblaster card, so I'm a bit in the dark
with your problem.

Nigel.