Re: Poor WiFi Performance

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 09:01, Nifty Fedora Mitch
<niftyfedora@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<--snip-->

> I wonder if windows is finding a proxy...
> Many vendors give their proxy hardware an advantage.
>
> How are you measuring the link speed?
>
> Another trick might be to limit-rate with tools like wget (see the man page).
> Some ISPs dial back bandwidth after giving you a burst of fun.

<--snip-->

Hi

I used the German site www.wieistmeineip.de/speedtest to measure the
connection speed. They download and then upload files in various sizes
(between 32 and 2048 or so kbit).

I don't think its a proxy issue, because I checked with my girlfriends
notebook (intel 3945abg module, too, only with 32 Bit Ubuntu) and it
gets rather decent speeds and those over a longer period of time, too
(updates and such).

I will try the limit-rate with wget when I get back home, can you
recommend a file I should use to test it?

Thanks a lot!

Cheers

Phil Bieber
--
Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

GPG KEY ID (Philipp Bieber): 0x0185E301
FINGERPRINT: CA81 28C2 E63F DAF8 5ED4 DACB 7C26 EE5B 0185 E301
Philipp Bieber - philbieber@xxxxxxxxx