OT ? PyQt: how is the commercial license not GPL ?

I'm looking at using PyQt for a project.

I've gone to the Riverbank Computing homepage to learn more about PyQT
and I ran into the following.
(http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/commercial/pyqt)

PyQt Commercial Version
Like Qt itself, PyQt is provided under a number of licenses depending on
how it is going to be used. In fact, we try and follow Trolltech's
licensing model as closely as we can.

Comment: As far as I know, this page is out of date.  Nokia bought
Trolltech and Qt is licensed under either GPL or LGPL.

Anyway... carrying on...

The free version of PyQt is licensed under the GNU General Public
License. If your use of PyQt is compatible with the GPL then you do not
need to buy a commercial PyQt license. Similarly you do not need to buy
a commercial Qt license.
<snip>
If your use of PyQt is not compatible with the GPL then you require a
commercial PyQt license.

So if I buy a "commercial license" from Riverbank, I can violate the
GPL ?  I don't get this.

The website goes on...

There is no functional difference between the GPL version and the
commercial version of PyQt.

But I am supposed to buy a license to use it ?

What Does the Commercial Version Give Me?
A copy of the commercial license gives you the following.

      * A copy of the PyQt source code that you download via HTTP.

Doesn't the GPL require this for all applications ?

      * A copy of the QScintilla source code that you download via HTTP.
      * The right for a single developer to write applications under
        Windows, UNIX, Linux and MacOS/X.

Doesn't the GPL say that anyone can use it for any reason ?

      * The right to distribute the required PyQt modules and QScintilla
        library with your applications so long as the users of those
        applications do not themselves have direct access to PyQt.
        Otherwise those users themselves become developers and require
        their own copies of the commercial versions of both PyQt and Qt.

I really don't understand that.  I thought that developers had to
distribute code when they shipped a GPL product.

I ask these questions because

a) Fedora is providing the PyQt library and source in the repositories
and surely someone somewhere in the Fedora community has encountered
this before me.

b) I don't see a "Licensing" page on the Riverbank web page that might
explain what they are trying to accomplish with the commercial license.

Thanks for listening.

LinuxGuy