Re: HiJacking Threads Was: hostapd for Fedora 10

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 12:51 PM, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-01-07 at 12:16 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>> Can you give a specific example where the MUA uses the References
>> header to display messages (i.e. derives some information from it that
>> is not present in the In-Reply-To header, other than simply copying it
>> to further replies)?
>
> You can test for that yourself with any collection of messages belonging
> to a thread, remove the messages linked directly together by the
> in-reply-to headers.  (Copy a thread to a test folder, remove the every
> second generation of messages.)
>
> If the mailer manages to keep the related messages grouped together as a
> related thread, even without messages being linked as replies to another
> message, then it's using the reference headers.

That's an ingenious idea. I tried it with Evolution and indeed it
works, so Evo at least *does* appear to take note of the References
header. All the same, when I delete the common parent of two messages
(which were previously at the same hierarchical level) then one
appears as the parent of the other, even when I turn off the "fall
back on Subject threading" option, so the conclusion is not completely
iron-clad, i.e. Evo seems to be doing something else (I checked
carefully that neither message had the Message-ID of the other
anywhere in its headers.)

Or it could just be an Evo bug.

poc