Re: Fedora Live USB seems to have expiry date

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 12:37 AM, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-01-05 at 00:24 -0600, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>> Seems like after a lot of use of the Live image (using KDE if that's
>> relevant) on a USB disk with the overlay enabled, errors seem to
>> accumulate.
>
> That's no surprise.  USB flashdrives have a finite life.  Some have
> longer lives than others.
>
> I was quite surprised to hear of people successfully using them for this
> sort of thing, seeing how I know someone who wore one out rather quickly
> using it as his web browser cache location.  I expected the lifespan
> would be far too short to be practical for anything other than a
> read-only system.
>
> If you want someone else to chime in with more specific information, I
> think you'd have to name the particular USB drive that you got.

It's a 9.99USD Microcenter USB flash drive, approximately a month
since purchase. I was expecting more utility out of it, in spite of
the limitations on the number of writes, considering the age of the
drive.

When it works it works, but then the spurious errors come about, and
the drive needs to be reimaged.

--
Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
( www.pembo13.com )