chroot and network problem?

A while back, I worked out a chroot prescription that allowed
me to chroot to each of my bootable partitions and run

   yum -y --downloadonly update

in each root so as to download all the updates for all the
fedoras in cron each night.

Lately I've been seeing this in the logs each day:

Fetch Fedora 10 x86_64 updates...
Fetch Fedora 10 i386 updates...
http://livna.cat.pdx.edu/fedora/development/i386/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (101, 'Network is unreachable')>
Trying other mirror.
Fetch Fedora 8 x86_64 updates...
Fetch Fedora 8 i386 updates...

I always get the network is unreachable error when chrooting
to the 32 bit fedora 10 partition and trying to run yum.

Is there some mysterious new filesystem that needs mounting
or something? This is the script I've been using for the
chroot:

newroot="$1"
shift
arch="$1"
shift
if [ -d "$newroot" ]
then
   mount --bind /dev $newroot/dev
   mount --bind /dev/pts $newroot/dev/pts
   mount --bind /dev/shm $newroot/dev/shm
   mount -t proc none $newroot/proc
   mount -t sysfs none $newroot/sys
   chroot $newroot setarch "$arch" "$@"
   umount $newroot/sys
   umount $newroot/proc
   umount $newroot/dev/shm
   umount $newroot/dev/pts
   umount $newroot/dev
else
   echo "$newroot" is not a directory 1>&2
   exit 2
fi

Google searches say network is unreachable usually means routing
problem. Any special reason the network routing would be
busted inside a chroot suddenly?