Re: X locks up after a random time

On Saturday 03 January 2009 21:18:58 Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Saturday 03 January 2009 11:25, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > >
> > > Interesting, I'd noticed the same thing over the past few days... hmm
> > > (Dell Latitude D620 here).
> > >
> > > In the meantime, I've tried backing down to using
> > > kernel-2.6.27.7-134.fc10 (from kernel-2.6.27.9-159.fc10) to see if that
> > > makes any difference.
> >
> > This Mandriva laptop has a variation on that.  With Desktop Effects on I
> > get random freezes, but I also get times when the mouse can move the
> > cursor around, but neither mouse-clicks or keyboard usage is registered.
> > This has happened throughout, so I don't think that it's kernel-specific,
> > but I do think that it is probably related to what you are both seeing.
>
> Can you verify the /var/log/Xorg.0.log complaining about infinite loops on
> that machine (that is, when a lockup occours, using ssh from another
> machine)?
>
> If yes, then I'd bet it is the same issue, and in that case it is also not
> Fedora-specific, but a general problem.
>
> I kinda have a feeling that this is a problem with the interaction between
> X and Intel drivers (the EXA vs XAA thing or whatever), or possibly a bug
> in the Intel driver that shows up only in 64bit version.

Didn't manage to ssh, but I did check the /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old - same
result :-)  You are quite correct there are dozens of these:

[mi] EQ overflowing. The server is probably stuck in an infinite loop.
[mi] mieqEnequeue: out-of-order valuator event; dropping.

As I told Kevin, this Radeon Mobility X600 showed this problem before I
installed flgrx, so it does concern the free driver.

I also checked the F9 box that has the same problem.  The card there is NV34
(GeForce FX 5500), again using only the free driver.  That box was just set up
for testing and learning KDE4, so I don't use it much.  If you want me to try
to capture the same info from /var/log/Xorg.0.log on that box I'll try to get
a session there later today, with Desktop Effects enabled.

Anne