Re: X locks up after a random time

On Saturday 03 January 2009 11:25, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 03 January 2009 01:36:01 Rex Dieter wrote:
> > Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> > > Ok, this is a Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo U9200, with Intel graphics, F10
> > > 64bit, updated last week. KDE desktop, compiz and all, but I believe it
> > > is not related.
> >
> > Interesting, I'd noticed the same thing over the past few days... hmm
> > (Dell Latitude D620 here).
> >
> > In the meantime, I've tried backing down to using
> > kernel-2.6.27.7-134.fc10 (from kernel-2.6.27.9-159.fc10) to see if that
> > makes any difference.
>
> This Mandriva laptop has a variation on that.  With Desktop Effects on I
> get random freezes, but I also get times when the mouse can move the cursor
> around, but neither mouse-clicks or keyboard usage is registered.  This has
> happened throughout, so I don't think that it's kernel-specific, but I do
> think that it is probably related to what you are both seeing.

Can you verify the /var/log/Xorg.0.log complaining about infinite loops on
that machine (that is, when a lockup occours, using ssh from another
machine)?

If yes, then I'd bet it is the same issue, and in that case it is also not
Fedora-specific, but a general problem.

I kinda have a feeling that this is a problem with the interaction between X
and Intel drivers (the EXA vs XAA thing or whatever), or possibly a bug in
the Intel driver that shows up only in 64bit version.

Best, :-)
Marko