Re: APC UPS

On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 06:55:00PM -0500, Robert L Cochran wrote:
> That is what I want to see -- far lighter weight batteries ...  >
> ... Lithium polymers would be great for this sort of application. They
> should be linux-friendly, ...

First, appliances should be OS-independent; they should talk a "common
language", that doesn't care if it's on Windows, Linux, Unix, etc.

Secondly--as you'll continue to see me state in this post--the problem
is that everyone wants "cheapest possible".  That means they go for
things like lead acid--cheap, mature--and LCD on any drivers or
associated software.

> As a result of the various posts in this thread, ...
> <<snip>>

Essentially, batteries are batteries.  The vendors aren't going to go to
the immediate cost of custom "smart" batteris and support costs of a
specialized battery.

> This still does not really meet my criterium of being very quick to
> replace and instantly usable.

To meet that criterion, you essentially need to find a local battery
supplier who has either original vendor replacement batteries, or
acceptable aftermarket units designed for your UPS.  Given the economy
and the decline of bricks'n'sticks stores, good luck.

> I wish there were a way to independently, accurately and easily test the
> UPS itself ...
> Having the ability to test the units, regardless of devices connected to
> the UPS, is critical.

Again--the end users are demanding cheap.  They get cheap.

> The APC units are still way too heavy and bulky. They are poorly
> designed, being little more than batteries stuffed into a box that are
> connected to circuit boards and 120v outlets.

Cheap.  See above.

The most depressing part of all of this is that companies producing
professional-quality units aren't rewarded, so they either die or turn
out low-end junk...as we're seeing.

Cheers,
--
	Dave Ihnat