Re: Unrecognized Hard Drive

jdow wrote:

It sounds like the drive cannot get its head mounted and simply hangs
somehow. It's not useful for backups. If I had data on it there are some
"hacks" I might try, sharply twisting the drive on the axis of rotation
as power is applied, for example. Sometimes that will get the disk to
spin up if that's the problem. I've managed to rescue data that way a
couple times.

I like "drive tapping" myself for spinup. Start tapping the drive with the handle of a screwdriver (side impact, not on top) and apply power. I have used that with success back to ESDI days, and most recently on a PATA drive I brute copied to a file and accessed as a drive on a virtual machine. It will get started one more time, to run DBAN on it and clean off the data. Part of my "January is 'clean your office' month" program.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>