Re: Catch-22 : wide monitor -- Surprise!

fred smith wrote:
On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 11:19:45AM -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
Beartooth wrote:

Btw, I don't really suppose this new change in anaconda is an act of purposeful obscurantism -- but the result is not significantly different. If the developers were deliberately trying to drive non- technoid users away, they could hardly do it more effectively than by this and several other changes (such as package kit and network manager).

I have to agree, FC10 is absolutely the worst install available. I have it on five machines now, and in every case I had to do video tricks to get a working display. I think the people who put in that animated boot display took control, and were more concerned with having people oh and ah over the animation that have a working default video mode like 800x600, and have the graphics *fit* instead of depending on screen scrolling, which also doesn't work on several machines I tried, even if you know it's there.

I have still been giving out FC9 DVDs to people, FC10 is just geek material as far as I'm concerned. FC10 is great software, but a hideous install.

Bill, I'm not disputing your experience. I've only installed F10 on a single
machine, my eeepc 901, but on that machine it "just works".

As there is a LOT of variance from one machine to the next, I don't
doubt that there are those where it is less smooth than my experience.

The issue is that FC9 works on all of the machines in question without problems. So it's very hard to say that on five servers, two laptops, and a virtual machine that I have just the wrong Intel, SiS, or ATI/Radeon video and the wrong display. I shouldn't have to set video modes every time with vga=, and if the install insists on picking a VGA 800x600 mode the content should fit, because new users don't know about screen scroll.

Bah.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>