Re: Network changing from eth0 to eth1

Nat Gross wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 1:09 PM, Mikkel L. Ellertson
>> If you are looking in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts for ifcfg-eth0,
>> and not finding it, they you are probably using NetworkManager to
>> manage the interface. You may have to configure it again. (If you
>> looked in the wrong place, make sure ifcfg-eth0 has "ONBOOT=yes".)
>>
>> Mikkel
>> --
> I don't have any file that begins with ifcfg in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.
> I took another look at the "services" gui and am not running
> NetworkManager and I am running 'network'. And now I notice that in
> the "status" area it sais (when network is highlighted):
> --------------------------
> ls: cannot access ifcfg*. No such file or directory.
> Configured devices:
> lo
> Currently active devices:
> lo eth0
> --------------------------
> Any clues?
> Thanks;
> nat

Definitely strange - At the very least, you should have ifcfg-lo!

If you are using hte network service and DHCP, ifcfg-eth0 should
look something like this:

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes
HWADDR=<MAC address>
DHCP_HOSTNAME=<something>
TYPE=Ethernet
IPV6INIT=no
NM_CONTROLLED=no
USERCTL=no

You don't need all of this - you could get by with:

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes
NM_CONTROLLED=no

You should also be able to create it using system-config-network.

Mikkel